Wednesday, January 12, 2011

ice / fire


L - Nikon / T - Nikon

It was nice to see the sun this morning but the temperatures didn't rise much. I love this view - the morning sunlight casting blue shadows across the glistening snow and my favorite beech tree glowing golden in the background. I walked around the yard this morning with Evee. And she slid around - not being heavy enough to break through. That snow is covered in about a quarter inch of ice making it difficult to get around. You can't walk with a light touch - you have to be bold and firm and crunch right down.
Today I watched from my window as 3 young boys challenged each other to the farthest ride down the hill in my backyard. They worked that hill slick - taking them further and further. It was fun to watch. After they left I wanted to go try that hill myself... but I didn't. / the smell of the kerosene and the sound of spinning fire were really neat contrasts to the drips of the melting snow and the cold that nipped at our noses. 7 inches of snow got us 3 days off of school and it was a really nice break to have but now it's going to be extra hard to get back into the swing of things. i've had a nice time getting readjusted to being here but i'm definitely ready to get into this semester and see what it holds for me. let's just hope i don't bust it walking down the hill to my classes tomorrow.

6 comments:

ELK said...

that is a wonderful contrast..both amazing to see

S. Etole said...

yes ... the contrast amazes

Se'lah said...

you're such a beautiful and talented pair. love the contrast.

p.s. please send me an email re: random act of kindness. Not sure the old one I have still works.

one love.

Jaime said...

fire and ice... a perfect pairing. I envy your snow. We've had record levels in the mountains (the ski bums are singing!) but not so much at sea level....just a whole bunch of rain. Which I love. But I would love to see some of the white stuff.
It's good to be back here again, soaking up the beauty you two create together. :)

d smith kaich jones said...

wow! how cool is this?!! and blue shadows!! leslye - i have such a thing for blue shadows. i have a door shot i've kept secret for years - it has blue shadows and i just assumed i'd done something wrong, but love it anyway. :) now i know! sometimes they're real.

:) Debi

Relyn Lawson said...

Wonderful! I really love the fire spinning guy.

footnote

The photos on the left are taken by me, Leslye, the mother. The photos on the right are taken by my daughter, Taylor – unless otherwise noted. Comments are always welcome. thanks
If you care to visit, I, Leslye, have another blog - AutumnSun where I ramble around different paths and pleasures of my own.