Sunday, February 22, 2009

focus


solo post by L - NikonD40x 200mm SOC

“We can always choose to perceive things differently. You can focus on what's wrong in your life, or you can focus on what's right.” - Marianne Williamson

That quote is great and so true, but this weekend, for me, the issue of focus was less philosophical and more about keeping my attention in one place - focusing on the task at hand - in the present. I keep getting distracted by little things.
I'm working on a painting that I want to submit to Paws for Charity and it's due next weekend, so I really needed to be painting but I got distracted by this, and while posting, of course I got distracted by other peoples blogs. I finally did get around to painting and I'm so close to finishing - all I really lack is getting Evee painted in the background - but instead of focusing on painting Evee, I kept seeing things that I wanted to change about Kodi (by the way the painting is of Kodi sitting on a chair inside and Evee is just outside the window looking in - maybe I'll show it to you when I'm pleased with it). So I focused on Kodi, which in turn may have resulted in overworking her, instead of focusing on Evee. For some reason I hesitate, afraid I'll mess up the entire painting when I paint Evee. But like my mom always told me, "you can't make a mistake in painting, just do it, you can always paint over it if you mess up". I've got to stay focused in order to complete this painting in time.
Another issue of focus for me this weekend was physical - the way my eyes work these days. I have always had good vision - never wore glasses. But as I have aged things are less in focus than they used to be. Tonight in my metalsmithing class I thought I had forgotten my glasses. As I looked at the tiny 2mm bit of solder on my metal I found it difficult, no impossible, to see. I thought I would had to run to CVS to get a pair of glasses in order to do much of anything in class - how sad is that? But luckily I found a pair in my car. This fuzzy vision of old age really bothers me.
Did you have a focus issue this weekend?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, focus is not so easy for me. Great post and photos. How did you get Evee to stay still?

bichonpawz said...

Focus is a huge problem for me. And I am totally blind without my glasses!! You sure aren't alone, girl!!

Unknown said...

these are gorgeous photos!

i have focus issues most days. i get very easily distracted!

ELK said...

metaphor rings so true...in words and images which are priceless..focus is a big issue for me..infact I should be making lunch right now!blessings ELK

Relyn Lawson said...

I have to tell you how much I love it that when you loose focus, it's because you are busy creating beauty. When I loose focus, it's usually because I have chores and a little one - and too many books I want to read.

I love the study in focus that your diptych created. And the wonderful, full-of-truth quote.

Happy day, dear Leslye.

Woman in a Window said...

It's amazing, this power of perspective.

footnote

The photos on the left are taken by me, Leslye, the mother. The photos on the right are taken by my daughter, Taylor – unless otherwise noted. Comments are always welcome. thanks
If you care to visit, I, Leslye, have another blog - AutumnSun where I ramble around different paths and pleasures of my own.