Monday, March 16, 2009

unattended / neglected


This candytuft was completely unattended throughout the winter and even with the neglect it continues to shine. It's white flowers sparkle against the finely textured, deep-green leaves and woody stems. I love the way it spills over the edges of the planter. I like these type of plants that flourish without much attention - I don't have much of a green thumb. / mom know's how to find some cool places around town. somehow she found out that there is a former mansion that had been neglected but still stands on part of the emory campus. it's called the candler mansion and was the residence of the former coca-cola tycoon, asa candler. we thought it was stange that there were no "no trespassing" signs anywhere - but i guess it was assumed since it's on the emory campus. how does this happen that such an amazing structure just sits neglected? i read that it was built in 1916 - i can just imagine how beautiful it must have been back in it's glory. anyway we explored a little bit - there was easy access to one small structure that was off the side of the house and there was a abandoned greenhouse as well. there was this huge thing hanging in there that i was a little freaked out about - i thought it was a wasp nest. i would like to go back - seems i always get a great idea after i leave.
"Every human life is made to fit some place, and there is a place for every life. The lives and the places are made for each other that they may serve the purposes of the God who made them." - asa candler

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't it funny that some plants need all kinds of pampering and attention and some don't. I'm with you, L, I need the kind of plant that is an independent flourisher!

How interesting about that mansion being empty. I wonder what it was hanging in the greenhouse.

Those images look great together!

Woman in a Window said...

You are able to wander in through old places? I am filled with envy. Love these snippets.

spread your wings said...

sorry for the confusion. The main house was all boarded up and we could not get in there nor did we try, But there was a separate small building - I have no idea what it was used for - that had an open window and was just a short step up to get in. The building was pretty much empty but it had great big beautiful windows and there was nice light coming in so Taylor went in and shot a few photos.

Relyn Lawson said...

Yes, please on the art museum. Although, I haven't been that impressed with the High Museum. Wanna come this way? We'll go to SLAM (St. Louis Art Museum) or Nelson-Atkins in Kansas City or the Philbrook in Tulsa. All are absolutely wonderful. If we went to the Philbrook, you'd have a chance at all kinds of amazing photos.

Relyn Lawson said...

I'm baaaack... with more to say. Of course.

I love both of these images. And that you wander around neglected buildings. I love to do that as well. It's funny the syncronicity of things. Derrik and Beth just recently posted about their abandoned building ramblings. His was a centuries old abbey, Beth's was a decades old farm house. Yours, a nearly century old mansion. I love them all!

Char said...

beautiful shots - I would so love to come shoot with you.

I can't wait to start my gardening - maybe this weekend since spring begins on Friday.

Anonymous said...

one thriving one not
wonderful juxtaposition

ELK said...

missed you and your journeys~ yay for the candy tuft! ELK....

footnote

The photos on the left are taken by me, Leslye, the mother. The photos on the right are taken by my daughter, Taylor – unless otherwise noted. Comments are always welcome. thanks
If you care to visit, I, Leslye, have another blog - AutumnSun where I ramble around different paths and pleasures of my own.