Sunday, October 11, 2009

bounty / illumine


solo post - L

I had 3 apples... I was going to paint them – then I saw the recipe for Apple Crostata... no more apples to paint. SO I went to the market and bought some more fruit and those wonderful sunflowers I shared yesterday. This morning I arranged the items I bought and now I have an abundance of photographs and good starts for at least 3 paintings. One of the compositions really excites me. But first I just had to get outside.
The temperature was perfect so I decided before painting that I should get some exercise. So off I went to Big Trees Forest for a nice hike in the woods. Well I can't go for a walk in the woods without my camera but for the sake of exercise I should have left it at home. I kept seeing things I just couldn't pass by. I was stopping every few yards to take a photo. So my hike turned into a leisurely stroll. You know when you slow down enough to "see" – there is all kinds of beauty around us. (To make me feel like I was actually getting some exercise I decided to walk the trail 2 times instead of just once). The walk did me good even if I didn't get my heart rate up.

Nature is man's teacher. She unfolds her treasures to his search, unseals his eye, illumes his mind, and purifies his heart; an influence breathes from all the sights and sounds of her existence. ~Alfred Billings Street

Once home, I set to work trying to decide which "set up" to start painting. My mom always said, "Begun is half done." Well I'm glad to say, I am more than half done now. Yeah. It's been a good weekend.

I talked to T – she hasn't totally abandoned the blog. She and some friends went to a corn maze this weekend and she said she took some photos. I can't wait to see them. First she said she had to do marine environment homework and start on her next design project. I'll wait - patiently. : )

12 comments:

elk said...

yes.
lovely.
moms & patience.
hand in hand.

Line said...

your photos on Flickr are so lovely, nature is so grandiose"

Char said...

gorgeous shots in that flickr set - I loved seeing them all. the mushrooms were so frilly and delicate. how is your crostata? I think that is the best recipe ever! I overdid a bit on the orange zest but loved it. I added craisins to one of them (I made two).

S. Etole said...

That was a delightful walk through the woods ... thank you for taking us along with you.

smith kaich jones said...

Yes, these images are lovely, but these words draw me in and stop me still, I had 3 apples. Oh dear me - what an incredible phrase, those 4 little words. Seriously, I felt quietened with those words, felt that all was well.

xoxo
Debi

giftsofthejourney said...

I laughed to read that you ate your still-life before you had a chance to paint it. Too funny.

You had exactly the kind of day I had trying to balance fitness for the body with fitness for a creative heart. We could have been taking that walk together.

Loved the photographs!!!

Gayle said...

We had a walk like that yesterday. I love your nature photos! I hope you show us your paintings when you are ready.

Shelli said...

First, I'm so glad to read in your earlier post that your vacation was rejuvenating... What a great experience!

I love these photos! I wish I had more time for things like painting.... I guess these are the kinds of things I can pursue when my kids are off to college!

And please don't tell me that's not exercise - then I never get any exercise! Ha.

Puna said...

Lovely, really lovely. Especially the mushrooms. I'm such a sucker for those lately.

Relyn said...

I'm with Debit. I had three apples... What is it about that phrase? It feels like it could inspire an entire book.

robin-bird said...

i was smiling by the time i read "i walked the trail twice" at which point i laughed. what a sweetly written description of your heart and how it responds to the natural world. i love that about you of course :) thank you so much for your comments the other day. you make me feel so loved and appreciated. i hope that you are feeling more balanced yourself :) i am feeling more tuned in and yet it is an ongoing effort.

robin-bird said...

p.s. he he hee...to me "i had three apples..." sound like the beginning of a goofy joke; "there was a monk, a priest and a stripper......."
;)

footnote

The photos on the left are taken by me, Leslye, the mother. The photos on the right are taken by my daughter, Taylor – unless otherwise noted. Comments are always welcome. thanks
If you care to visit, I, Leslye, have another blog - AutumnSun where I ramble around different paths and pleasures of my own.