Saturday, December 3, 2011

precious memories / warm heart



top photo of me and my girl friends taken by my brother / L - Nikon

My fiance (sounds so strange to me) and I went to see Trans-Siberain Orchestra perform on their Winter Tour. It was truly amazing.
From the powerful sound of this group to the simple, precious sound of friends of 60 years singing "Blessed Be the Tie that Binds" - it has been a wonderful start to the holidays.

My parents had a Christmas party today with a group of friends (about 8 couples) they have known for about 60 years. My brother and I helped out. But we were the ones blessed. This group of friends took care of us when we were babies, our families camped together when we were children - even after moving to different parts of the city they've joined hands in prayer every year at Christmas time throughout the years. The group, sadly, is getting smaller as husbands and wives have passed on. Now their children, my friends, bring the widowed parent to the party and this year I got to see a few of the girls. It was such a great time of fellowship and good food and lots of laughing.
Later, as I relaxed at home, enjoying some of the hor'derves I had missed and a hot cup of coffee I thought back and smiled inside at how funny they were - poking fun at their age, or at the stories that they retold but also smiled to think of this bond so strong - it truly warmed my heart.

This song that we all sang was the perfect ending to a perfect time together.

Blest be the tie that binds
Our hearts in Christian love;
The fellowship of kindred minds
Is like to that above.

Before our Father's throne
We pour our ardent pray'rs;
Our fears, our hopes, our aims, are one,
Our comforts and our cares.

We share our mutual woes,
Our mutual burdens bear;
And often for each other flows
The sympathizing tear.

When we asunder part,
It gives us inward pain;
But we shall still be joined in heart,
And hope to meet again.

1 comment:

ELK said...

one of my favorite songs .. you really tell a sweet story of family and friends ..extended and NEW!!

footnote

The photos on the left are taken by me, Leslye, the mother. The photos on the right are taken by my daughter, Taylor – unless otherwise noted. Comments are always welcome. thanks
If you care to visit, I, Leslye, have another blog - AutumnSun where I ramble around different paths and pleasures of my own.